Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A brief respite (and a forewarning of things to come) in Tarawa

Another welcome party at the Australian High Commissioner's house awaited us upon our return to Tarawa. Given the circumstances, from surviving a rising ocean and horrific storm,  it was no surprise that all of us were extremely happy to see each other uninjured.  The recent storm provided ample conversation for everyone, including Brad, the Australian High Commissioner who shared this story with us. 

Two nights ago, I got the call from Australia warning me of a strong storm headed our way.  As soon as I got the call, I phoned the Kiribati Minister of Environment and warned him of the approaching storm.  He told me not to worry about it and to call him back the next morning.  I’m wasn't sure if the Minister was tired or extremely optimistic, but I wasn't going to take my chances.  I slept at the highest point of the High Commission with a life preserver just praying that I would be able to call him back in the morning.

We spent a few days in Tarawa before heading out to our HFV (Host Family Visits) on Maiana Island, our home island for the next three months. 

At the time, this was a freak storm.  However, the frequency and intensity of the ocean storms grew over our time in the country.





No comments:

Post a Comment